Jun 28, 2019
jerky and meat snacks
here’s our take on choosing jerky and meat
on the topic of "snacks."
beef jerky and dried meats are some of the
best snacks available. most of us that are real foodies
probably don’t’ find it necessary to snack much, if at
all. but even if
we don’t snack, most of us would all benefit from having some
optimal choices available just in case. I know I find myself wanting
a little jerky or bacon mid-afternoon, or at home while I’m getting
my dinner ready.
jerky and meat snacks are optimal choices to
keep on hand because they are extremely nutrient-dense and
satiating. they will not disrupt our
goals when eating real food – nutrients and nurturing
self-sufficiency (metabolic flexibility, fat-burning).
snacks may not be the best term. so let’s clarify snacking.
- we advocate no snacking between main meals
while at the same time being easy about the whole process,
practicing love and kindness to ourselves. so if you must
have something, it’s better to have something that is appropriate.
these snacks are relatively non-perishable and perfect to keep
- there are situations where it’s midafternoon,
i”m working on a 24hr fast, and around 3pm I just want
something. it’s a
perfect time to grab meat snack.
- snacking is relative. we don’t advocate snacking in
between main meals (at most 3 per day). if I’m going for 1 or
2 meals and need something this is perfect.
- also keep in mind, for many of us, especially
if we’re eating 2 or 3 meals in a day, some of our meals look like
“snacks” because they are so small. so maybe your midday meal
look like a handful of greens with dressing and an Epic
also, let’s talk about
temptations! if you’re in a situation
where there’s a lot of temptation, and you get your hunger
triggered, it’s great to have this stuff on hand!!! remember REAL FOOD
FIRST! so if you must eat, it needs to be the right
there ARE situations where it’s perfect
to have these - hikes, camping trips, road trips, plane
flights, etc., and
there are places that are great to keep these things just in case -
work, home, office, backpack, etc.
choosing jerky and meat snacks.
when choosing beef jerky and dried
meats, use some common sense. we are real foodies to the
core, so we basically want meat, salt, sugar, spices and
- look for minimal ingredients.
- always avoid the toxic oils, mainly soybean, canola,
vegetable, safflower, and low-quality sunflower.
- always avoid artificial sweeteners.
- always avoid synthetic preservatives. this is a tough one because
there are many that we aren’t familiar with. if there’s an ingredient you
don’t know, google it or ask us!
- jerky preservation should come from the salt and
the sugar can initial a mild fermenting process. so it isn’t a
problem. if you’re
a sugar-phobe then just go for something without sugar :)
- organic gluten-free tamari soy sauce is
great! in fact,
soy sauce is fermented, so it comes close to being
approved. but many
soy sauces use wheat and gluten in the processing. organic
gluten-free tamari sauce is fermented soy sauce with no
- gas station jerky is probably not the best!
our top picks for jerky and meat snacks.
there are plenty of other approve options out there,
but these are our top picks!
- bacon :) once cooked bacon is surprisingly shelf-stable.
I've taken bacon with me in a ziplock bag for a weekend of camping
and never refrigerated it, and still ate it the following
- cured meats :)
- canned sardines. we love Wild
Planet. love them!
best places to keep these amazing dried meat
because they’re pretty much non-perishable for a good
length of time, they are perfect to keep around just in case you
get a craving, and it can keep you from eating crap.
- backpack. I always have some.
- purse. when I dress like a woman, I
- man-purse ;) don’t carry but if you
- the glove box of your vehicle. always.
- at the office! just in case your co-workers
bring around the crap! you’ve got a backup!
- at the house!
Check out our website where we now have
a few options to engage with us:
- Visit superhumantransformation.com and download the free PDF
on Debunking Conventional Wisdom and Status Quo with Truth-Based
- Schedule a
FREE Discovery Call to see if you qualify for Masterful
- Join our amazing online community SuperHumans
United. Education with the right information,
experience and experiments, and the
love and support of others.